Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Vessel Series: Mutton Street & Pydhonie

I have a second city, Mumbai. It is a sprawling, attenuated metropolis consisting of lots of little villages strung together. In the lower part of the sprawl lies the Chor Bazaar. I found myself in the middle of Mutton Street with a dusty basket on my lap. Out in the street gents were trying to sell tourists greasy car parts. Tethered goats were blinking in the sun. Several teas later I found my faces.

Pydhonie is a nearby neighborhood where I have spent many a morning enjoying the ancient crumbling building fronts and pleasant cacaphony of the metalworkers.

Close your eyes and you might hear the hammers.


Vessel: Pydhonie 1 2010 2 1/2" x 5 1/2 " x 1"
Vessel: Pydhonie 2 2010 2 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 1"
Vessel: Mutton Street 1 2010 2 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 1"
Vessel: Mutton Street 2 2010 2 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 1"

1 comment:

  1. Paula, these are so beautiful! I want to see more, more, more of your work! They are so mysterious and they draw you right in. Wonderful work. I am linking your blog to my blog and I just became a follower.
    Check our my page
    http://quartz-inversion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete